National Median Pay
Real Go-Getters Make
Hourly wages up to
- Apply multiple welding techniques, metalworking concepts, and construction processes.
- Work at considerable heights safely and efficiently
- Analyze and interpret drawings, blueprints, and building codes
- Positioning and tying steel rods, bars or mesh as a support for concrete
- Erection and connecting of metal beams and columns to form structural skeleton
Education & Training
Education and training that can lead to a successful career may include:
- Highly motivated and self-directed
- Flexible and able to work in a team environment
- Physically fit and manual dexterity
- Comfortable working with heights
- Mechanically inclined
Many ironworkers work in the field on active construction sites. Opportunities also exist in shop environments.
Want to explore other careers that have similar work environments, education, training, and responsibilities?
- Structural Steel Worker
- Bridge Welder
- Structural Fabricator